Sunday, January 31, 2016

Betty Crocker Cookbook #32: Beer-Cheese Soup (pg. 440) - 160131

After my heavy breakfast with sausages and eggs, I was happy to tick off a meatless soup for supper. Soup generally goes well with bread, anyway, and I'd bought some lovely beer at the local brewery in growlers.

Beer-Cheese Soup

I used Waterloo Dark for the beer, though I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes. The celery didn't soften as much as I expected. It wasn't crunchy, but it was more firm than I'm used to. Of course, most of my celery consumption comes out of my slow cooker, which turns most vegetables into brown paste regardless of starting characteristics.

The last ingredient is "Popped popcorn, if desired". I don't normally desire, but I have a bit of regret that I did not pick up any popcorn in anticipation of this recipe. Presumably there are other recipes that call for this American staple, so I can correct that oversight.

1 comment:

SusanB said...

I love the look of this. Trying to make more soup.
Where are you blogs on family and friends?
Love MOM